Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Connecting the Dots...Part II

My daughter in law, Kaytie, pointed out to me last week, that while I had written the blog post, “Connecting the Dots- Part 1”, she was waiting for part II. To be honest, I have had “writers block”. My thoughts have been scattered, skipping from one thing to the next, never completely focusing on one idea. I have been unable to put them together where they fit. My thoughts have been like shards of glass, jagged and broken. But I’m going to try and appease that girl, so here goes.


Years ago, when my kids were younger, I was a Bible study leader for a group of women. I certainly was no teacher, but I enjoyed the companionship of those women as we shared our lives with each other. Each week before meeting with our groups, we would gather for our weekly lecture by the head of the group. Her name was Ruth. She seemed so put together, so knowledgeable. I have to admit, I felt a little intimidated by her.  I did, however, enjoy  listening to her as she applied our lesson to our daily lives. Each week her insights spoke to me, and I would go on my merry way. Until one day. I remember vividly her telling us that God will do anything to bring us closer to him. It may be the loss of a job, the loss of a relationship, the death of a child. What, wait! What did you say??? The loss of a child? I wasn’t buying it. For years those words resounded in my head. I have never forgotten them.

Now, years later, here I am. I’ve lost my child. But I don’t believe for one minute that God took Jillian from me in order to bring me closer to Him. I am no longer intimidated by people like Ruth, I’ve learned all on my own who God is to me. We live in a broken world and bad things happen to all of us. But, I do believe that in spite of losing our precious Jillian,  good things will come from it. Nothing will bring her back, but I’m keeping my eyes on the bigger picture.

Jillian’s husband’s family have taken on the campaign against  melanoma as well.  Through their efforts, next week Monday, February 11, through April 7, there will be a billboard shouting out melanoma awareness.  This can be seen on I-75 .2 MI N/O M-81 E/S F/.  Jillian’s life has and will continue to make a difference in the lives of others. There is great comfort in that for me.
                                                                                                    
Because of Jillian’s story, and the stories of so many other warriors, Melanoma is being exposed more and more each day. THAT is a good thing. I don’t plan on letting Jillian’s light diminish. Not ever.

So Ruth, you may have ticked me off that day, but I do see God opening doors and guiding our way.
Spreading the light…

Peace~

11 comments:

  1. Again, I am in awe of you. You will always be in my heart.

    Love and prayers always,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your family are so generous with yourselves and your story. I know it will have an impact on the world, and Jillian will be able to see that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you Sue.
    Cyberspace hugs and kisses...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kylie is right...you're not just impacting those around you, you and Jillian's story are impacting the WORLD! I'm continued to be inspired...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your encouraging words of support!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree! You are amazing and Jillian's memory goes on the save others what a legacy -hugs Case's mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. I think it's one thing to say: God can use any circumstance in life — and quite another to say God causes tragedy and sorrow to draw us closer. It's the difference between believing in a loving God or a cruel, manipulative God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart goes out to you and your family. Your blog is s wonderful tribute to your beautiful daughter. I hope you don't mind, but I posted the picture of Jenni's tattoo on my facebook page She Recovers with a link to your blog.

    I've lost family members to cancer and am a survivor myself - I honestly can't imagine losing one of my girls to this vicious disease. I wish you comfort in the coming days. Gratefully...~Dawn~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure Ruth was well-meaning, but I think Craig said it much better, and much more appropriately.

    Susan, you continuously amaze me with your strength, and I continue to pray for you and your family. Love to you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan! I am writing you from far away. I live in Argentina, and searching on the internet is that i found you. I read the whole blog. These last nights i hav been following you. I am 37 years old, mother of two adorable little kids and an angel that is in heaven. This october i was diagnoses melanoma. Fortunatelly stage 1a. It was in my left ear, so I have had several surgeries, the last ones where platic surgeries (one is remaining, probably it will be scheduled for april). I have now kind of an ear, which sometimes matters me and sometimes it does not. I think to myself as i look at it in the mirror, how lucky I was, I got it removed quickly and the melanoma was really thin.
    As i read your blog, y really could not stop crying. When I read the biopsy results, all I thought about was my two kids (5 and 2 years old). I constantly think "what if........" You and me share the love for our children. At night i watch them sleep, and keep thanking God i am well and hopefully healthy for them.
    I admire you, and you family, and Jillian of course. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Excuse me if i have spelling mistakes, i try to express myself the better I can keeping in mind Inglish is not my first language.
    I lost a newborn baby...... And i think i will never asume it. I hope you get better. Cry, shout.... And do anything you need to do to deal with this moment of your life.
    Reading you gave me strengh, and made me feel realy lucky, and as you know sad for many other people who had o have melanoma and is having a hard time.
    I am a warrior, my tests continue. I am working on spreading the word about melanoma, precaution. I doing my best to teach my little kids about the danger and risks of the sun.
    I send you a very big hug, from very far away......,
    Agnes.

    ReplyDelete