Saturday, May 31, 2014

Unlikely Events...

There are many events in our lives that hold importance. Christmas, birthdays, Mother’s Day.....

May is Melanoma Awareness Month. An event. Our melanoma community has been busy blasting social media with stories of warriors, information on skin safety, new advancements in research and more. I see it fitting that I close out this month with Jillian.

You’ve heard the story. A story of a young girl, still in her teens loving life, and enjoying summer. One pesky mole on her back that just needed to be cut out. Melanoma? What’s that? That mole led up to several events in our family, and it ended Jillian’s life.


I’ve heard the comments, “ She’s too young. It just isn’t fair. Why”? I’m not questioning “why”. I’m not shaking my fist at God, asking Him how he could allow this could happen to such a vibrant young girl. I have questions about what the greater meaning of life is, however. And as we limp along this new road without Jillian, I’ll keep my eyes open looking for answers and opportunities to make it better.

In the meantime, events like Melanoma Awareness Month will be acknowledged. And if just one life is saved through sharing Jillian’s story, I’m okay with that. Well, sort of. J

Next week, in honor of our beloved Jillian, this billboard will be displayed in Grand Rapids, Michigan.


“Laying out and tanning beds, pretty much screwed me”- Jillian Hayes

~Peace

2 comments: